The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® (ATMAT)
ATMAT is a non-invasive external massage founded on ancient Maya abdominal massage and healing techniques that supports reproductive and digestive health.
These techniques address the physical health and position of pelvic and abdominal organs and any emotional holding patterns found therein. Soft and gentle manipulations are used to reposition misaligned organs, thereby stimulating circulation of blood, nerve, lymph and chi to support the body’s innate capacity to self heal.
Dr. Rosita Arvigo learned the original Maya techniques over a 10 year apprenticeship with Don Elijio Panti, the great Maya Shaman of Belize. She was also exposed to other central American ancient traditions that represent an unbroken chain of knowledge handed down from generation to generation of shamans, midwives and healers. Unifying this all with over thirty years of training and experience in the natural sciences of massage, naprapathy, herbology, and spiritual healing; Dr. Arvigo developed the techniques which now bear her name.
Common Ailments ATMAT May Help With:
- Tilted/misaligned uterus
- Prolapsed uterus and/or bladder
- Fertility challenges
- Difficult pregnancy and delivery
- Chronic miscarriages
- Painful and/or irregular menstrual cycles and ovulation
- Blood clots during menstruation and excessive bleeding
- Dark thick blood at beginning and end of menses
- Uterine and/or bladder infections
- Ovarian cysts
- Uterine fibroids and polyps
- Painful intercourse
- Difficult menopause
- Pelvic congestion and pain
- Early stages of prostate swelling
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)
- Prostatitis (mild)
- Painful ejaculation
- Impotence, Erectile Dysfunction
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Chronic Constipation
- Gastro-Esophogeal Reflux (GERD)
- Chronic indigestion or heartburn
- Crohn’s Disease
- Lower backaches or pelvic pain
- Headaches or migraines
- Frequent, difficult, and/or incomplete urination
What To Expect During A Session:
- The first appointment is 2 hours in duration.
- Comprehensive review of your past and present healthcare needs focusing on reproductive and digestive health
- Upper and lower maya abdominal massage to help improve circulation to abdominal organs
- Massage to back, sacrum and hips to further stimulate circulation to the organs of the abdomen
- Evaluation of body posture
- Instruction in self care massage so you can continue with daily at home and helps to enhance your professional session.
- Recommendations of complimentary modalities to support your health and wellness that may include:
- The wearing of a Faja – a traditional lower abdomen supportive wrap
- Bajos – a traditional herbal pelvic steam bath of the Maya
- The application of castor oil packs and lifestyle education.
Typically, 2 or 3 professional sessions are required to address most conditions. Some conditions will require further attention over a longer period of time.
Supportive modalities are recommended by practitioners based on their professional license, scope of practice, as well as client needs.
Contraindications, Cautions, and Modifications
The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® are safe and effective with few contraindications of untoward outcomes. There are certain conditions where application of these techniques are either contraindicated or require modification. Please consult with your practitioner if you have any questions.
- During active menstruation
- IUD (intra-uterine device for contraception) is present
- Immediately after abdominal surgery
- Active infection or cancer present in pelvic area, or while undergoing chemotherapy
- During the first trimester (19 weeks) of pregnancy (modification)
- Hiatal Hernia (gentle massage required)
- Active and acute infection
- Abdominal Aneurysm
- Diastasis Rectus
- Pessary for uterine prolapse (remove prior to your session)
Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® is not intended as primary healthcare but to work alongside the relationship you have with your GP.
For further information please visit: http://www.arvigotherapy.com